Thursday, July 19, 2012

Deconstructing the Yaya

She wakes up whenever she likes, takes a nap on our couch on an almost everyday basis, throws away her unfinished food and water, has average cooking skills (she can cook rice and fry almost anything) but can burn your food and use too much canola oil , she's a lousy toilet user, her cellphone never stops beeping, she'll die without turning on her radio even while sleeping, she consumes 2/3 of our rice, water, and sugar supply, she complains of having a headache 4 times a month, she can be out of the house on break for three hours or more, everyday. She's disrespectful and childish and not a good influence around my son. That's my Yaya.

We've been trying to live with her and accept her long-list of flaws for one and a half years now. Heck, I even shelled-out fifteen thousand on her to have her teeth fixed (She's fully paid now and has improved her oral hygiene). I thought at first she's got so much potential. She can keep the house in order, she's makwento, and has a fairly positive aura. She's young and was able to finish HS. She did quite well looking after my son when I was still working at the office. She fed him well and sent him to sleep on schedule. My husband and I have left the two of them on their own on a few occasions and she seem to have handled these situations quite fine.

Now that I'm staying at home, I could not help but notice her countless flaws. I'm on the verge of letting her go especially now that she's causing me so much stress. But I want to have a trusted "kasambahay"so badly and I don't have much candidates to choose from. I'm starting to contemplate now whether I really need one or a househelp is just something nice to have at the moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment